Friday, February 5, 2010

Kalalau Trail

had chance a few weeks ago to hike part of the Kalalau Trail on Kaua'i. I was on island running public meetings and had a few hours to spare.


The trail runs along the Na Pali coast on the north shore of Kaua'i. So, I got to the trailhead right about sunrise with visions of a 12 mile round trip to Hanakoa Falls. With a side trip to Hanakapi'ai Falls if time permitted.

The surf was coming up and I saw some pretty big waves from up above!

It had rained quite a bit on Tuesday night, so I was anticipating some muddy conditions. Sure enough there was plenty of mud and the stream crossings were a bit challenging.

I made great time all the way to Hanakapi'ai Stream (2 miles in). I took my shoes off (I had not gotten too wet or muddy at this point) and crossed the stream without too much difficulty.


I decided to take the detour to Hanakapi'ai Falls now while I had plenty of energy. I had to cross the stream 2 more times on the way to the falls and did not bother taking my shoes off any more... The falls and valley were gorgeous. I had yet to see another hiker and saw extra falls cascading down the valley walls from the previous nights rains.

I really like the look of bamboo forests in Hawai'i (I know they are not native)

Falls along the wall of Hanakapi'ai Valley.

Hanakapi'ai Falls

Then I headed along to Hanakoa. The entire hike was absolutely beautiful. Fewer people hike past Hanakapi'ai, but I did meet a couple of backpackers on their way out from a couple of days in the valleys along the coast.




I was still making good time when I reached the split for Hanakoa Falls. I had read that the trail could be difficult to follow and went in and out of the stream bed. With the fresh rain, I found the trail impossible to follow, but it was only a third to a half mile in, so I was determined! At one point about 10 minutes up Hanakoa Stream, I followed what seemed like the trail, but it definitely turned out to be a pig trail... As I worked my way along, I was looking for the real trail. Next thing I knew I had stepped into vegetation with no ground below it. I crashed to the ground and let out a yell! My knee hurt and I lay for a second assessing my situation... I gave myself a good 5 -10 seconds and stood up. My knee was kind of screaming at me, but other than that I seemed o.k.

My left knee was bleeding, but not too badly. I started to work my way back down (giving up on seeing the 1400 foot falls was not an easy decision, but I think the right one...). I looked at my knee again and thought that it had swollen really quickly and took another look...it wasn't swollen it had a rock embedded in it. I pulled the rock out and started to bleed a little more, but nothing too horrible. After that my pace slowed considerably, but I tried to focus on the view and just working my way back.

Pre-rock removal...

Once I got back to the more popular section of the trail, I got some interesting looks and a few comments, since most of my left shin was covered in blood. I still finished up the hike by just after one, got myself cleaned up, first aid supplies at Foodland, and counted myself incredibly lucky that it was not worse!

I did stop for this self-portrait on the way out!

No comments: