Saturday, March 7, 2009

Congolese Dance Camp Maui

Showing some bootie!!

This past weekend (Friday to Monday night), I went (by myself) to Maui for Congolese (African) Dance Camp. Since I started dancing with the dance crew in May, I've been hearing about these camps and how amazing they are. Well, these stories were not at all exaggerated. It was AWESOME!!! I had a blast. We had two 2-hour dance classes a day, and there were two 1.5 hour drumming classes offered per day as well. I took every dance class as well as 3 drumming classes. It was great to learn how to drum, as I can see how it could help me with my dance.


Myself, Dhira, Marcia, Felica and Elasalina shared a car together on the trip to camp. The camp was at a YMCA camp in Eastern Maui, right on the coast. It is on the road to Hana, which is a crazy windy road that could make even the strongest bellies feel nautious. Dhira was our driver and did a fantastic job. However, I took a ride with my friend Chris to Hana (which I had never been to) on Saturday, and he drove "as the locals do"...winding pretty fast around the corners. I almost lost my lunch!!! But it was great to venture out and do some sight seeing. Hana is the "wet side" of the island and just gorgeous! I managed a quick dip in the not so warm ocean, as well as a freezing pool in a river.


This was a waterfall we saw on the way to Hana

Me groovin' down the line.

The O'ahu Posse

This crew is so much fun. Before this camp, I hadn't had much of an opportunity to hang out with them because I am always going off to do something with my family after dance class. So it was great to hang out with them, and get to know them. They are downright hilarious. I spent the entire weekend laughing. It was totally therapuetic. It was also such a treat to have all my meals cooked for me and with no dishes to do!! Absolutely blissful!!!

The drumming crew jammin'

Most of the dance teachers were either at one time from the Congo, or their families, but they now live in France. Many did not speak English, but the languages of dance and drumming are universal. They were so professional and fantastic dancers. They also shared such an infectious love of the culture. I just loved their energy.

Dhira, Marcia and myself on the campus


These are recent pictures of the girls during their African Dance Class, learning how to play the drums.

Jacqui getting some drumming lessons during her African Dance/Drum class

Gabbi playing the dunun drum.

No comments: